From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Jul 1998 15:03:23 -0800
On 20 Jul 98 at 14:47, Richard Swartz wrote:

> << I have an Actiontec 56K X2 Modem.  I have tried numerous ISP's and I can
>  only connect at 28.8.  Does anyone know how I can boost this up?  I have
> ...>>
> Then Danny Kato answered:
>
> >>ISDN uses enhanced CAT 5 unsheilded twisted pair cable and is capable of
> >>gigabit
> >>data transfer rates (so they claim). Ask your local telco about it.
> <snip>
>
> Sorry, I have ISDN and the highest speed you can connect with
> is 128 KBit (300 KBits with compression) with channel bundling,
> which means twice the costs, and at least in Germany they use
> POTs lines, could you mean ADSL (6 MBits downstream/640 Kbits
> Upstream)?

  Or perhaps he's describing BRI (Basic Rate Interface) ISDN (23 x
64Kb channels + 1 for signalling -- looks very like a digital T1),
and not the PRI (Primary Rate Interface) ISDN, which you're more
likely to install/encounter in a home or small business (2 x 64Kb
channels + signalling and POTS).

David G