From:
Jan Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jul 2002 03:10:47 -0600
We're trying to set up Linux Terminal Server Project workstations in a
developing country, so saving a few dollars means infinitely more than
in the US.  We're planning to us the tiny Mini-ITX motherboards using
VIA Eden 5000 processors.  The mobo, complete with processor, video,
and network interface is only about $95.  It measures only 17cm x
17cm.

This will be used without floppy or hard drive or CD, so power
requirements are minimal.  The problem:  cases for Mini-ITX, which
still have unnecessary bays for floppy and CD, start at about $57,
for a lot less steel and PS wattage.

The question:  Why couldn't we install two of these mobos in a regular
mid or micro-ATX case, and run both of them from one PS?  We could
potentially save enough to buy several more workstations, and place
one box between two monitors.

We would have to split the leads on the ATX power supply into two
connectors (we can probably find some dead power supplies to get the
connectors).  If we attach the lead that activates the power supply to
just one of the mobos, and then the case power switch to that one,
would that work, in theory at least?

Thanks lots:

--
Jan Wilson, SysAdmin     _/*];          [log in to unmask]
Corozal Junior College   |  |:'  corozal.com corozal.bz

                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>