From:
Robert Lendrim <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jan 2005 09:56:34 -0800
Hi Lewis,
I'm not a computer professional, but I would make sure you have normal AC power getting to the power supply, bypassing any possible restrictions. Next I would try to lessen the demand on the power supply by disconnecting components, maybe that Zip drive first, then CD, floppy or hard drive. You'll need to leave some type of boot disk. Maybe you could temporarily disconnect case fans, but not the CPU fan. Substitute a portable fan to move the air. Get the load as low as you can and see if it helps. Then add things back one at a time and see if it tells you anything. You could probably check PS voltages at an empty plug, but that doesn't tell you about a possible high draw voltage drop at startup. There must be testers that do that.
There have been several power supply standards over the years, some recent ones being AT and ATX. Most you come across will comply with one of those standards. But I've read that some, possibly Compaq among them, could have proprietary designs. If you replace the power supply, get a higher wattage if possible because you've added at least one component.
Here is some good info on power supplies:
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/power-supply.htm
Good luck.