From:
John O Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Mar 1998 12:25:05 -0500
I've usually had luck in these situations (major system changes,
reinstallations/upgrades of W95, etc.) with the following:

Reboot the system, hit F8 immediately at "Starting Windows 95" message,
choose "Safe Mode".
Right-click "My Computer" and choose "Properties".  Click the "Device
Manager" tab.
Start going through the entries here and actually delete almost anything
even remotely having to do with whatever hardware was changed.  In the
case of the mobo., that would include all hard drives, floppy drives, IDE
interfaces, ports, and pretty much everything that would appear under
"System Devices".  Since you're in Safe Mode, Win95 isn't really using
those drivers or devices directly, so it's safe to do it.  If there are
any extraneous devices that show up or any that are indicating errors
(red X marks, etc.) delete them, too.

Reboot the system and allow it to boot into normal mode by itself.  It'll
take several minutes finding "new" devices and locating drivers for them
(to save time, anytime it asks if you want to reboot now, answer no until
it gets all the way to the normal Windows screen with your desktop icons
and everything and THEN reboot).

This seems to force Win95 to locate and use the exact drivers it needs
for the stuff you've got.  The trick is to do it from Safe Mode, else you
could lock-up your system as you're deleting stuff from Device Manager.

-JOWj.

"The Pledge of Allegiance says, 'With liberty and justice for ALL.'  What
part of ALL do you not understand?" - Rep. Pat Schroder.