From:
Mary Wolden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Jan 2000 04:39:11 -0600
Brad,

One other item to check is how you have the drives connected to the power
supply.  If you have two drives piggybacked off of one cable from the power
supply, this might also cause problems.  I always try to have each drive on
a separate lead from the power supply, piggybacking them with cd -roms or
floppy drives.

Mary wolden

Brad Loomis wrote:
> >  >System is ABIT BX6, PII233, 64MB, Adaptec 2940UW.
> >  >4.5GB UW IBM
> >  >http://www.storage.ibm.com/hardsoft/diskdrdl/prod/9esprod.htm
> >  >two Seagate 4.5GB ST34501W  [Cheetahs]
> >  >http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/scsi/st34501w.html.
> >  >
> >  >They are [all] 68 pin SE drives. I tried to set it up as ID 0 Seagate,
> >  >ID 1 Seagate, ID 2 IBM, with the IBM having the termination jumper
> >  >installed. They are cabled in that order from host to IBM, Granite
> >  >Digital cable, All are recognized in the Adaptec BIOS scan. All have
> >  >PC Power & Cooling Bay coolers.
> >  >
> >  >I started...with the transfer rate at 40. I got many error messages...
> >  >I reset the rate to 10MB transfer and was able to get things
installed,
> >  >but not without some trouble...
> >  >Windows took over two minutes to boot and was not pleasant to use. I
> >  >never was able to get Office97 installed. I tried to set up a FAT32
> >  >swap partition on the second Seagate with Partition Magic 5.0. The
> >  >partition was made, but every time I tried to set my virtual memory,
> >  >windows would report the drive as being 0 MB.
> >  >
> >  >I also tried to set the jumpers on the drives to spin up from the host
> >  >to take some strain off the power supply, 235W, marginal I know.
> >  >
> >  >My questions are,
> >  >
> >  >1. The Seagate have a jumper for Term. Power, if they aren't
> >  >terminated, do I leave this jumper on? There are three choices for
> >  >settings. I can find no explanation for their function. They are Term.
> >  >Power from drive (default), Term. Power to SCSI bus, Term. Power from
> >  >SCSI bus (position A), and Term. Power to SCSI bus and Drive.
> >  >2. Should I use the motor start from host option?
> >  >3. Is Dos unable to run at the fast transfer rate? Or is there some
> >  >other possible problem?
> >  >4. Should I install the drives one at a time and re-jumper as I go to
> >  >try to get things to work?

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html