From:
Phillip Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Mar 2016 00:06:59 -0500
 Have you tried another device (smartphone, etc.) to connect to the
router? I know this is most likely a ridiculously obvious step that
you've probably taken but I had a similar problem that ended up being
a wrong cable connected to my router!

 Another thought is that Canada may be using different channels for
popular wifi frequencies but I would think they would be similar
(except for the 5600-5650 MHz band range for weather radar) Or did the
problem start before you went there?

On 3/10/16, 1336don . <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Go into W10 Settings/Network and Internet and see if wifi is set to "on" or
> if it shows up at all.
>
> To state the obvious (though you don't mention it)----- is the wifi key
> switched on on the laptop itself?  Most laptops have a wifi key and light,
> usually on the keyboard but on some models it's hard to find, may be hidden
> down on the front below the keyboard. Check the handbook for its location.
>
> Have you tried calling or emailing HP support?---presumably the machine
> will still be under warranty.
>
> Not sure why you can't access BIOS, try Delete or Esc keys. Hold down
> rather than tapping.
>
> On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 10:32 PM, <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>>   I'm away from home at the moment, and having some problems with a
>> laptop.  It's an HP Pavilion "Model 818", purchased from Best Buy in
>> December.
>>   At the end of February, HP's "Support Assistant" program notified me
>> to download and install half a dozen updates.  I did -- and wireless
>> hasn't worked since.  The desktop shortcut I set up to allow easy
>> enabling/disabling of Wifi now just tells me "Wi-Fi could not be found."
>>  I had a chance to hook it to a wired network and do a fresh download
>> and install of the drivers for the Wifi adapter, but that hasn't made
>> any difference.
>>   The machine has a 1 TB hard drive, which I've partitioned intending to
>> dual-boot to Ubuntu Linux.  All that's stopping me is that I can't get
>> it to boot from the install CD.  I believe I set all the BIOS options to
>> enable booting from the CD drive, but it doesn't, and now pressing F2
>> while booting takes me to a set of hardware diagnostics (I believe one o
>> those HP updates installed them), all of which pass, but that means I
>> don't even get to the BIOS settings to check that I enabled them.
>>   In theory, Best Buy's Geek Squad should help me, but I'm in Canada for
>> a bit and I don't know if they even have stores anywhere near me...
>>   Anyone got a constructive suggestion on either issue?  T laptop came
>> with 64-bit Windows 10 home, so fr now that's the OS I've got access
>> to...
>>
>>   David Gillett  CISSP CCNP
>>
>>                           PCSOFT's List Owners:
>>                       Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>