From:
John Chin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Jul 1998 01:45:47 -0400
At 11:55 PM 7/30/1998 Jose E. Dominguez wrote:
> . . . . .
>One of the problems is that the floppy drive is not working. I've taken
>the drive out of the Digital [386] and installed it in another PC, used
>Auto Detect to setup the drive but I can't read it. This could very well be
>because the parameters used on the drive are not the ones that the drive
>was originally setup with. The thing is we can't get into the setup of
>the Digital PC to see the actual parameters, or check to see if the
>floppy is even setup. . . . . .

Jose:

Can you re-install the hard drive into the DEC and still read
the drive?  If so, replace the hard drive, then replace the
floppy drive. The reboot with the floppy and run an IDE
hard identifier program like IDEID from Micro House at:

   http://www.solutions.microhouse.com/support/files/misc.htm

You can record the actual parameters for a re-try of your
solution. Or you can use Laplink or Interlink to move the files
to another drive. Or install a Zip, Jazz, SparQ drive on the
parallel port, now that you have a floppy to install the program
files.

If the hard drive will work in the DEC but the floppy still won't,
you have options if you have DOS. Try Interlink. Or a self-
cloning Laplink or Fastlink package that will upload the
necessary program files to the DEC via the cable connection
so you can transfer files off the DEC. Or install a Hardcard
with its own BIOS support to transfer the need files to the
DEC hard drive for ID or transfer. You could also transfer the
DEC files to the Hardcard if the latter had enough capacity.

Good luck, Jose.

Regards,

John Chin