From:
John Sproule <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jan 2006 10:40:18 -0500
In the past, the Matrox Millenium line of video cards has had the best
reputation for 2D graphics.  I don't know if other video cards have caught
up with them in this regard, but I would think that one of these would still
be an excellent choice for a photo-editing computer.  Since you are
interested in using a LCD monitor, make sure that the video card and the
monitor both support a digital, DVI, connection, for best image quality.
(Note, that you'll need to determine whether you need an AGP or a PCI-E
video card.  The Millenium come in several models, including PCI-E models,
though these seem to be a little harder to find in stock.)

For the truest color rendition on an LCD monitor, those with an IPS panel
would be the best choice.  Unfortunately, these tend to come in larger and
more expensive LCDs.  An example of one of these monitors is the Dell Ultra
Sharp 2001FP.  The 400:1 constrast ratio is a bit a drawback for these
monitors, but you are always making compromises when it comes to buying an
LCD.  Dell also makes a wide aspect monitor, the Ultra Sharp 2005FPW, which
also uses a IPS panel.  It is a newer panel than that in the 2001FP and
boasts a slightly better contrast ratio of 600:1.  The wide aspect monitor
is a bit less expensive than the normal aspect model.

XBit Laboratories has an excellent article on the different panels used in
LCDs, which describes their strengths and weaknesses.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/other/display/lcd-guide.html

John Sproule