Date:
Sat, 27 Jul 2002 22:32:49 +1000
There are few things you should pay attation. I will start from Intel side.
1) currently, Intel holds the speed advantage, and in near future, AMD won't
over pass this problem.
2) Intel cpu has better protection, both against heat and physical damage.
3) Intel has enjoyed better software support

Now for AMD side.
1) better value for your money and it is fast enough
2) AMD is getting better, and support is getting better, platform for AMD is
especially better, unlike Intel, even old mobo can support latest cpu by
simple BIOS update

My argument:
1) sure Intel is getting better and so does AMD, and what does it to do with
your DIY project? each major upgrade in my experience is as simple as a
whole new system, spend hard earn money on old slow system is a big waste
(eg. if you can run a Geforce4 on a Pentium 2 system, would you do it?)
2) true, current socket478 can support faster CPU, but, just look back on
what Intel has done - each new processor release means a new mobo as well,
the old 850 mobo (100mhz bus version) has no way to support new 133mhz bus
P4 even they use same socket, and only God knows what Intel will do next,
maybe a whole new chipset again (the dual channel DDR chipset). plus, at the
time you need a 3G+ CPU from Intel, your current mobo will be surely slow
and worthless to use. If you don't change CPU every 3 month or so, there is
no point to worry.

So, if you are on performance side, and want what best money can buy, go
with Intel; if you consider best value, go with AMD; if you stand somewhere
in middle, you have to make up your own mind.

Jun Qian