From:
Barry Marx <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jun 2000 23:24:53 -0400
Hi,

Today, in the process of trying to help a friend with what seemed to be a
bad
NIC, the system died on me.

The system is a Pentium 120 with an AMI Apollo II series 742 motherboard,
running Win98.  I had replaced the suspected bad NIC and rebooted
successfully, but had to abort the NIC driver installation, and shutdown
when
I realized that I needed to get the NIC model number to be sure I had the
correct driver disk.

On the next reboot attempt, however, the system started giving me BIOS
error beeps:  2 short, followed by about 6 or 7 long beeps.  (Since I didn't
have a listing of the beep codes handy, I didn't try too hard to get the
exact
number of long beeps.)

The AMI web site lists beep error codes ranging from 1 to 11, with no
mention
of the initial 2 short beeps I'm getting.  Does anyone know if the initial 2
short
beeps are meaningful, or can they be ignored, for the purpose of determining
the
error from the table?

I was very careful not to disturb any cable connections when installing the
new
NIC, but reopened the case to double-check for any problems.  I didn't see
any, but this time noticed, when I tried to boot with the cover removed,
that the
CPU cooling fan wasn't spinning.

So, I guess that puts a heat-damaged CPU high on the list of possibilities.
However, I would still like to be able to correctly interpret the beep
codes, so
that I can be sure of where the problem is occurring.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
   Barry

                    Digest mode - visit our web site: