From:
Tom McHugh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Jan 2010 19:46:21 -0500
On 26 Dec 09 01:29, Phillip Williams wrote:
>  I have a dial-up connection that connects on average at 48 to 50k. I
> found a great deal on a wireless G router and wonder if it would be
> possible to use it with dial-up. Hopefully, one day I'll have a faster
> connection service but for now I would love to be able to have a
> wireless connection throughout the house without the headache of
> running new phone lines. My main internet pc is in the basement.
>
>  If I am able to use the router in this way, will I be able to use my
> computer to make the connection (perhaps like a server) so whoever
> wants to connect wouldn't need to know my log-in password? Or would
> they have to have the providers' software installed? I use AOL. Yes, I
> know it's really flakey software but I haven't tried any others that
> worked better enough to warrent the change over.
>
>  Another possibility would be using another pc I have with a usb
> wireless setup upstairs, which is where any guest would be accessing
> the net, so I could log on to AOL then let them use this pc. But if a
> guest has specific software on their laptop or stored passwords for
> what sites they may visit, this could be a problem..
>
> I don't have much network set-up experience so any suggestions would
> be most welcome.
>
> -Phil-
>
>                The NOSPIN Group Promotions is now offering
>                  our special coffee mugs and mouse pads
>               with the PCBUILD logo...  at a great price!!!
>              http://freepctech.com/goodies/promotions.shtml

I've been away for the holidays and can see this topic is more than a
week old, but here's my two cents...

Back in the day I set up an old Pentium (a good 486 will work) with the
open source Freesco Linux based router.  More information here:

http://www.freesco.info/

My original purpose was for it to be a generic router, bridge, DHCP,
web, ftp, etc. and was used to connect large temporary gatherings to the
Internet.  It is now currently sitting at my brother's house still
chugging along with nary a hiccup.  He is stuck with dial-up and uses it
with a Cisco/Linksys wireless router so he can wander with his laptop.
I set up his machines with two shortcuts on the Desktop that point to
built-in Freesco scripts.  One tells the Freesco box to dial-in at which
point he connected.  When done, he activates the second shortcut which
simply tells Freesco to hang up.  Now this can be set up to be
transparent, but he had something that kept trying to connect on its own
(we never did figure out what it was...) so we implemented this manual
approach.

When I first assembled the box, I was very much a newbie but the docs
are good (and now we have Google) and I had it up in no time.  I
recommend you check Freesco out.  I believe it will do all that you are
asking.

Tom