From:
Robert Underbrink <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Jun 2000 21:17:55 -0700
From: "Nicki Gemmell" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Saturday, June 17, 2000 3:39 PM
Subject: [PCBUILD] Hard drive poblems

Hello again,
I have kept my messages seperate so as to make things easier!  I am having
difficulties with my main machine, P166mmx, 64mb ram, 2x 2 GB HDDs.  Last
weekend my machine told me that I had problems on one of my drive
partitions.  I did the scandisk thing and it threw up huge numbers of bad
sectors.  After this I scandisked all of the other partitions and had the
same problem with the other partition on the same drive.  I decided to back
up what I could (lost all the data on the original problem partition) and
then fdisked back to one partition and reformatted etc.
This morning the machine made almighty grinding noises on boot up.  I
switched off, checked the fan etc and then rebooted it on its side (its a
tower).  It booted up fine and now seems to be running quietly again.
Can I have some expert advice?  Is that HDD about to go to disk heaven?
Cheers Nicki

         The NOSPIN Group Promotions is now offering the NOSPIN
        File Download CD, Abit's Gentus Linux, Linux Power CD and
      the RedHat Linux CD.  All CDs are always provided at COST!!!
                      http://nospin.com/promotions

Nicki, if I read you right, you have two hard disks 2 Gigs each.  That noise
could be coming from a CPU fan,  a power supply fan. or a hard drive.  This
is remittance problem and you will have to run it a few days on its side
with the cover off so you can check these devices when it starts making the
noise.  By putting your finger on the different devices when it starts
making noise you can determine which one it is.  Replace the one that is
making noise.  If it is your master drive and you have enough room on your
slave drive, you can buy Partician Magic and make a backup on the slave
drive of your master drive.  Then get a new hard drive for your master and
restore the backup on it.  You will need a boot disk with drivers for you
CD-Rom..........Good Luck