From:
Earl Truss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Nov 1998 15:28:34 -0600
The primary reason for being concerned with the refresh rate is to
eliminate flicker.  It is generally accepted that if you run your monitor
at any refresh rate higher than 72, you will not notice any flicker in the
display.   At any refresh rate lower than 72, you will notice flicker on
the edge of your vision especially with an all-white window.  This can be
very annoying and will result in eye fatigue.  You can damage monitors by
running them at a high refresh rate and I believe that there is evidence
that running monitors at the limits of their refresh rate for long periods
of time will shorten their lifespan.  I don't believe there is any benefit
in running a monitor at a refresh rate of more than 85.  The bigger 19"
monitors might need this fast of a refresh rate, but I don't think screen
size has that much effect on it.

                                  -----