From:
John Rinehart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jun 1999 13:51:25 -0500
Dear List Members:

Is anyone aware of compatibility issues with CDROM drives being able to read a
CDROM that has the new Joliet extensions?

Several friends of mine and I run the same program on CDROM that is a bible
encyclopedia. Earlier versions of the program did not include the Joliet or
Rockridge extensions [not sure if there is a difference]. These programs are
all run using Windows 3.1 on up to Windows 98 on machines ranging from an older
386 to a newer Pentium system. On my older 486 with a 6x AZT66801I using Window
95a, I have no problem reading the CDROM in either format [without or with the
new Joliet extensions]. Whereas, some of the older and newer systems have
problems with the newer format [sorry I don't have the specs on the systems].

I know the formats on the CDROM's differ because the format is identified if I
'look' at the CDROM's under Linux. Is anyone aware of issues related to
compatibility with these new CDROM extensions? And possible work arounds?? The
MS knowledge base did not have much to offer.

Thank you for your help. I'm trying to help several people that I know with
this compatibility issue.

Sincerely, John Rinehart

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>