From:
Thomas Harold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Sep 2006 23:38:13 -0400
Marilyn Leathers wrote:
> Hello everyone.  Sometime ago I bought a barebone kit from Tiger
> Direct. I built a nice PC for my daughter. One problem that I have
> with the PC is the hard drive hums. Any suggestion of how to quiet
> the hard drive.  Thanks!

Well, if it's an old ball-bearing drive, replacing it with a newer
fluid-bearing drive will help a lot.  The newer fluid-bearing drives
don't have anywhere near the whine issue (90Hz or 120Hz) as the old
units.  Look through the reviews of drives over at NewEgg or look for
user opinions elsewhere for whether the drive is noisy/quiet.

The most noise that modern drives now make is the chattering of the
heads.  Some folks find it annoying, but I still remember the soothing
sounds of my old 20MB 5.25" hard drive.  Where the seek noises were
almost musical.

(off-topic)  You can spend a lot of money trying to silence a PC.  It
tends to be a never ending battle where you replace one noisy part only
to find the next-noisiest part is now the culprit.

Personally, I start with a good case.  Something like the Antec Sonata
II, p160, p180/p180b cases (or some of the ones from Lian Li which are
similar).  Those cases are pretty sturdy and mount the hard drives on
rubber mounts to reduce vibration.  These cases use 120mm fans for
cooling, which spin at a lower RPM (less noise) while moving the same
amount of air.

After that, you get into going with low-wattage CPUs (such as the new
AMD power-efficient AM2 socket CPUs) which can be hooked up to a large
heatsink and a slower-spinning fan.

And sometimes, after you pack 8 hard drives into a case... there's a
certain amount of noise that is simply unavoidable.

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>