From:
Chris Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Nov 2008 06:21:41 -0500
-----Original Message-----

Date:    Sat, 15 Nov 2008 19:56:28 -0500
From:    Tom Waddell <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Recording video with TV tuner card

I am building a new computer and would like to record streaming video fro=
m news programs, convert VCR tapes to DVD, edit Mini DV tapes from a camc=
order and watch some TV. I think I need a card with 2 coax inputs, one fo=
r analog from the VCR and one digital from my cable company. Was told str=
eaming video from on-line news programs has a different video format than=
 TV video. To record streaming video I would need a dual output video car=
d, either DVI/DVI or DVI/D-sub. One output would go to the monitor and th=
e other to the inputs on the TV card. Be interested in hearing from other=
s who have recorded and edited video with a TV card.

Thanks,

Tom=20

------------------------------

I don't know whether you have found a suitable answer to your question but
here's my take. I own an ATI TV Wonder USB 2.0 external capture device that
I purchased around 2 years ago. After looking for a similar solution and
after seeing this particular device reviewed in PCWorld, I purchased it for
around $100. (unfortunately this version is no longer made) The setup was a
little flaky at first (in a Dell 8400 now "upgraded" to 2GB DDR 533, Pentium
650, 2 SATA 150 HDDs, ATI X800 128Mb, XP Pro) in that the drivers didn't
play well with the existing video card (both ATI - go figure). But the video
quality is great, there is no perceptible "lag" and it has coax, s-video and
rca inputs. (both video and audio) Specs here -
http://ati.amd.com/products/tvwonderusb20/index.html

ATI has a newer version of the same thing -
http://ati.amd.com/products/tvwonder650/usb/index.html. Although I don't
have direct experience with this particular model, the features are similar.
If that is any indication, then you might find it to your liking. What I
like best about the device that I have is I can record video directly from
my DirecTV receiver using the s-video input while still being able to watch
the program on the television. I also didn't need to crack the PC case again
(taking up more real estate inside - along with the heat).

I haven't used it to transfer video from a camcorder, but I imagine it
wouldn't be too much different that capturing TV providing the camera had
rca connectors. The tuner also has the ability to let you watch TV with an
uncoded signal using the coax jacks. I can't use that portion of it because
my satellite signal is decoded through the box - and the transfer to the PC
is "one channel" at a time. The interface is much like the interactive
program guide of most TV providers and will let you "channel surf" just like
regular TV.

Recorded video quality is very nice. There are a number of presets to adjust
video settings and audio quality. I have mine set to a variable bit rate of
8Mbps and 44.1kHz. At that setting a 90 minute movie averages around 3 to
3.5 Gb of HDD space used. Perfect for burning to a standard DVD.

HTH

Chris Ryan

                 our special coffee mugs and mouse pads