From:
"Lewis C. Emerson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Aug 2010 03:02:28 GMT
Let me give you my opinion as a computer ignoramus.

On two separate occasions I was advised to increase the memory in two computers - desktops, not laptops.  I used memory modules from Lexar Media using their Crucial brand (www.crucial.com).  I somehow became convinced that it was something I could handle without having to hire one of the computer geek outfits to do it for me at whatever their going rate happened to be at the time.  At the Crucial website you can access their on line advisory service that will analyze your machine to find out how much memory is already installed, how many empty memory slots are available, and then what options you have about adding additional memory - plus other interesting facts about your particular machine.

I was concerned as I already knew that memory chips can be easily damaged by static electric charges.  However, Crucial, as well as the computer manuals themselves, were quite specific about just how to deal with this in a safe manner.  On both occasions I ordered the modules, and the installation went smoothly and without any problem whatsoever.

It should also be an easy job for you with the laptop and I'm reasonably sure that your manual will give you specific instructions.  I've also heard that your supplier, Kingston, is reliable and probably also has an advisory tool much like that of Crucial.

If you do it yourself, you'll certainly save a bit of money and time, and you'll have the satisfaction, as did I, of doing the job yourself.

Give it a shot, and good luck!

Doc, W4ITJ