From:
Eric Outten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Aug 1998 23:22:57 -0700
You probably "loved the old one to death" too Angus:

I hate to break this to you, but alcohol dulls most plastic lenses over
time.  Every time you cleaned it, you killed it a little more.  It is a
very short term fix unless metal or glass is being cleaned.  Even then,
if there are any additives they will leave deposits on the surface.

To summarize: 1) Never use alcohol to clean plastic.  2) Use only
isopropyl, never ethyl alcohol.  3) Avoid additives such as wintergreen.

By the way the the dull lense won't stop the beam, just make it slightly
weaker in a world of micro-thin tolerances.
Eric

Angus Macdonald wrote:

> I had a 6020i and it, too started missing discs. Taking it apart and
> cleaning the lens with an alcohol swab seemed to cure it but the problem
> returned after a few weeks. Taking at apart agin cured it again for a
> few weeks. In the end, I came to the conclusion that something was
> wearing out of alignment inside as the time it stayed working became
> shorter and shorter. In the end, I replaced it with a Yamaha 4260 and
> love it to death.
<snip>
--
Eric R. Outten 773-978-3478 "typito ergo sum"
[log in to unmask] - Oh! Electronic Solutions, Inc.