Date:
Thu, 17 May 2001 17:17:51 -0700
  The ROM on the 2940 card will "load the SCSI BIOS" -- also from ROM
on the card -- if it detects that there is a possible boot device
attached.
  If your system CMOS doesn't give you a choice of whether to boot
SCSI or IDE first (I've seen this handled in a couple of ways), you
may be able to get into the 2940 setup (br pressing Ctrl-A when the
card banner comes up during the boot process) and *disable* loading
of the SCSI BIOS.  (Your SCSI drive(s) should be available, once the
OS has booted, by way of the OS's 2940 driver.)

Dave Gillett
A+, MCSE, and now CCNA

On 14 May 2001, at 22:33, Paul Hachmeyer wrote:

> I'm trying to add a Seagate SCSI drive w/ adaptec 2940 card to my HP
> 266 machine.  Win98 recognizes the scsi card, the card recognizes
> the drive.  I low-level formated the drive via the scsi card
> utilities, but the machine won't boot.  It appears to default to the
> scsi drive looking to load a bios from it rather than from the ide
> drive and just freezes.
> What is causing the scsi drive to appear to be the primary drive
> rather than secondary?  IDE jumpers set as primary, SCSI has no
> jumpers to set it to secondary, seagate drive documentation doesn't
> address this issue.  Should I set the ide as the secondary drive?
>
>          PCBUILD maintains hundreds of useful files for download

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com