From:
Hugh Vandervoort <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Aug 2005 15:05:12 -0400
I'm against all-caps subjects on principle, but I think this time it's
justified.
My first suggestion is that you help your son find someone with
experience in building computers.
Socket 478 chips are listed here:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Category/category_slc.asp?CatId=260
I've had good luck ordering from Tiger Direct, but I'm sure you can get
a chip from Newegg also. Note that some of these chips come with fans,
which I assume he will need.
More cache and more MHz means faster (and more expensive).
The Chaintech specs on this board are here:
http://www.chaintechusa.com/tw/eng/product_spec.asp?MPSNo=13&PISNo=306
I assume you have a motherboard manual.
The DVD Rom should work fine. The tape thingie (Ribbon Cable?) is
matched to the motherboard, not the case.
Chaintech has a list of compatible memory sticks here:
http://www.chaintechusa.com/download/list/spt800.pdf
You haven't mentioned a hard drive or video card.
My second suggestion is that you re-group. Lay out all the parts,
determine what's missing, and proced very slowly, understanding each
step as you go.
There's a "Build your own" tutorial here:
http://www.pcmech.com/byopc/index.htm
A google search will find several excellent tutorials like this one. You
can also find tutorials on installing hard drives, memory, video cards, etc.
What's your geographical area? Someone here might know someone nearby
who could help.
This is an excellent project for a 13 year old, and all should be well
if you take your time.
Good luck.

Joan Carter-Holmes wrote:

>My 13 year old son decided to build his own computer so he can play Half-Life Two.  He and a friend went on to Newegg.com and ordered parts.  Unfortunately, now that they've arrived, they don't fit or work together.
>
>Can you help figure out which Intel Pentium 4 processor will work with the Chaintech  PT800 VIA SPT800 + VT8237R; Socket 478 ATX M/B; 800 MHz FSB, (2)DDR400; (1)AGP 8X, (5) PCI; (2) SATA 2/Raid 0, 1, (2) ATA133, (1) 10/100Mbps LAN, ( 8) USB2.0; 5.1CH Audio?  This is all Greek to me .. I don't know what any of it means.
>
>He purchased the Aspire/XDreamer Window 420W case.  The DVD-ROM (Lite On SOHD-16P9S BLK DVD-ROM) doesn't match the wire tape thingie in the case.  Can you help tell which DVD-ROM will work with that case.
>
>He also had a hard time getting the Wintec 512M 3AMD2533-512MI-R RAM stick.  Is this the correct one for the Aspire/XDreamer case?
>
>Please help this computer illiterate Mom and her frustrated and disappointed 13 year old son.

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com