From:
John Freibergs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Feb 2008 11:30:22 -0500
Hi,

I have an Intel D865GBF mobo with a Prescott 2.8 Pentium CPU with 1G of ram.  I'm having over heating problems in System Zone 2 on the Intel monitoring system  see the following url.  http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-012552.htm

Judging by the diagram it appears to be one corner of the CPU zone.  Right now I overheat just doing a virus scan and have real problems playing any sort of games which are so old they wouldn't need any sort of current graphics card(mine is an nVidia 256mb one).  Any suggestions on fixing things.  I've cleaned everything with compressed air and a vacuum.  The CPU fan does work and I'm thinking of taking the heatsink off and reattaching things.  But other than when I first built it, I've never had things apart and I'm worried about doing damage.  If I remember correctly the heatsink and fan had an adhesive type thermal connection when I put it together.  Will that come apart without effort or do I risk trashing the processor?  If things seperate OK what works for cleaning the residue off before I apply thermal paste and try reasembling.

Any help you guys could provide would really be appreciated.  I have a Cooler Master CM690 box with 3 fans and just oredered up 3 more.  But with both sides off right now I'm still having heat issues and it's frustrating.

TIA
John

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com