From:
Steven Walley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 May 2001 00:12:45 -0700
I've installed two Pentium Overdrive processors.
One was a 84 MHz and the other 200 MHz.

Both completely replaced the existing CPU,
so they are standalone processors (or at
least can be).

Steven

----         "Joel M. Blackman" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> My recollection is that the overdrive is not a standalone processor,
> but
> exactly what it says, an overdrive for a Pentium processor.  I think
> those
> things boost the performance of Pentiums (not PII's or PIII's).  By
> itself
> it is not a processor, and I suspect the burning smell was his mobo
> frying,
> especially since his old CPU would no longer work.
> Subject: [PCBUILD] Changing Processors
>

> Hi Folks, hope someone can help me. I am living proof that a little
> knowledge is dangerous. I got hold of an Intel Pentium Overdive (that's
> what
> it says on the sticker attached to the on-board fan) and I thought
> I would
> try swapping it for the CyrixInstead processor I am currently using.
> No joy
> there though, as the computer wouldn't boot so I swapped them back
> and
> everything's hunky-dory. A friend of mine is having trouble with a
> noisy
> processor fan in his tower system and I thought that this spare processor
> might be swapped for his Intel Celeron processor thus maybe solving
> his
> noise problem, but if performance suffered we would swap back. Now,
> there
> must have been something I didn't consider before rashly charging ahead
> because the Pentium processor didn't even start. Instead, I noticed
> a slight
> electronic burning smell that I didn't like at all! When the original
> Celeron processor was returned it wouldn't start either. I would be
> grateful
> if someone could help me get my mates computer going again and restore
> my
> good name. Thank you John Murray

To get your own FREE ZDNet Onebox - FREE voicemail, email, and fax,
all in one place - sign up today at http://www.zdnetonebox.com

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com