From:
Fred Ungewitter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Aug 2004 10:39:39 -0500
Since this community has been so helpful with my previous virus problem, I thought I'd appeal to you folks again for a new development on a different system.

It's a D-Link 604 router with the latest flashed firmware.  When either pc on the network is connected to the cable modem, no problems.  When either or both pcs are connected to the router, most web pages require a refresh to display the desired site.

I thought it might have been an incorrect MTU parameter and I used the support section of the dslreports.com web site to do some tests and made some changes.  Got it to work for about three minutes and then it "failed" again.

Tech Support at D-Link was stumped too, but I had called them before I discovered one other aspect...

I got a hint that it was a problem with DNS, on the win98 machine when it reported "unknown host" on one of the ping tests.

I then took the DNS settings from the modem/router and manually entered them into each of the two machines and the problem went away completely.

First question:  why did my "solution" solve a problem that does not seem to exist on other networks I've configured, including my own?

Second question:  I have the feeling that setting a static DNS is not a good idea.  How often does DNS change for the "typical" cable company service?  If they change DNS settings, the router will update, but the pcs on the net will be at my original numbers.

Last question:  How many words in quotes are too many?  :-)

thanks in advance for your advisories.

fred

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com