From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Aug 1999 17:35:10 -0700
Yes there are third party drivers for NT which allow it to see FAT32 but I
believe this makes for a problematic system. NT can be a very stable OS as
long as you keep things simple. I think you have to purchase these FAT32
drivers.

I would suggest you use third party software like Partition Magic to break
up your D partition into an Extended partition with a number of 1 gig
separate FAT 16 logical drives . You can make them up to 2 gig but anything
over 1 GB and you will take a big hit in wasted space from the large
cluster size. After you get your D down to around 1 gig I would use
Partition Magic to convert it to FAT 16.  Using Partition Magic you should
be able to do this without putting your data at risk. When you finish you
will have a FAT 16 system which is not a bad way to go the first time you
setup NT. NT has it's own files system called NTFS = NT FILE SYSTEM but
Win9X or DOS is not able to access it. NTFS provides a higher level of
security but will be much harder to deal with if something goes wrong.

>  I have a dilemma here, I am trying to upgrade a computer from win 95 to NT
>Worksation and I have a copule of ideas but maybe you have a better one.
>The scenario looks like this
>
>133 MHz
>32MB Ram
>C: FAT 16 1.6 GB 31 MB free    IDE
>D: FAT 32  5.1 GB 4.3 GB free   IDE
>
>I was thinking to dump everything from C: to D: in a separate directory and
>wipe C:, but D: is a FAT32 and NT wont see this partition. Can I use a driver
>on NT to make see this partition ?  What do you think ?
>  or do you have a better solution to this problem
>Moises Simana

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>