Date:
Thu, 14 Jun 2007 20:30:03 -0400
...  my computer seems to be failing.  It is an eMachines, running
Windows XP, SP2, with 700-odd meg of additional RAM.  Sorry, but I
couldn't find this failure in the archives.

The symptoms are, when I start to power up I get a rapid-fire knocking
or clicking sound through the speakers.  Then if I try to close a
program that's in my boot menu, the system chatters and the command
flits by too quickly to click on it -- and keeps on doing that.  If I
try the "start" button, the computer immediately goes into standby
mode.  The other symptom is, when I open a program like email (currently
using Mozilla T'bird) the computer opens the same message several
times.  So far, I have been able to check this process using
the repeat message.

The problem is intermittent, that is, the computer doesn't show these
symptoms each and every time I boot up -- just often enough to cause
this ol' lady some more gray hairs!  It's been going on for about ten
days now.  I have scanned for viruses and other malware several times;
it doesn't seem to help and my antivirus software (PC-Cillin) can't find
anything.  I went into the appropriate 'regedit' files and everything
looks normal.

I suspect this is a hardware situation, but if I'm wrong please let me
know and I'll run it past the PCSOFT folks.  Many thanks!

Joyce in southeast Ohio

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml