Date:
Thu, 8 Jan 2009 15:23:41 -0500
The area of the desktop with the system clock you are referring to is the systray.

Java uses an updater service that runs in the background when you load windows. It's a typical update service such as windows update or adobe updater. The program parses the system for your current version versus recent versions with the Java update server. When it detects updates that are available, it gives you an iconic and text message in the systray letting you know that updates are available.

Since this service runs at startup, for you to turn it off you need to locate the service and disable it on startup. I can't explain why you repeatedly get the update message even after you are accepting the update. My guess is that the update is not working properly, or an outside chance that your version would require several updates that for some reason need to be done in sucession.

There's a chance that it could be related to suspicious or malicious software or programs. Try an online Kaspersky Scan and or Spybot scan.

If you just want to disable the service, left click start, left click run, type msconfig and then enter. Select the Boot.ini tab and look for the Java service in the list. Uncheck the service and select apply or ok. The setting change will require a reboot of the system.

Java is used for web content mostly, and the only problem I know of is that you may have difficulties with web page related graphics or gizmos. But I express that I am very knowledgeable about Java, other than it updating every once in a while on my system.

Good luck!

> Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 13:54:28 -0500
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: [PCBUILD] Java updates
> To: [log in to unmask]
>
> Greetings listers,
>
>  Recently, both my computer and one I built for my sister have been showing
> Java update alerts in the section of the task bar by the clock (Please
> remind me of the proper term for this section). It dosen't matter if I
> accept the update or not, each time I get online the notice pops up again
> (sometimes two of them).
>
>  My questions are;
>
> Are these updates really needed? I confess I haven't researched Java enough
> to know how or when it is used.
>
> If it isn't really needed, how can I stop the constant notices?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Phil Williams
>
>             Do you want to signoff PCBUILD or just change to
>                     Digest mode - visit our web site:
>                    http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml

Windows Live™ Hotmail®: Chat. Store. Share. Do more with mail.
http://windowslive.com/explore?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_t1_hm_justgotbetter_explore_012009