From:
Joe Lore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Sep 2004 17:05:27 -0400
HI,

Using an 80 pin cable on the drive and not a 40 pin

Thanks and have a Great Day!

Joe Lore

===========================
Is this DVD writer the only device on the IDE channel?  If not, as an
experiment, try a burn with it being the only device.  I had an older
CD-RW drive and HP 200i on the same IDE channel and maxxed out the CPU
even when reading.  Putting each optical drive on its own IDE channel
solved the problem.

Carl
====================
I have a Sony DRU-510a that I have been using without major issues.
System is Windows XP Pro on a gigabyte 7nnxp mb, AMD 3200+ xp cpu, sata
and ide raid. Except for a problem set of Ritek 4X -R disks, it has
performed at the rated speed with -R, +R, and +RW 4X media. Last night,
it suddenly started writing about 1.25X! I have not made any changes to
my system. DMA is enabled for the drive. I am using Nero 6. It reports
burning at 4X at the beginning and end of the burn, but what used to
take 16 minutes has expanded to over 40 minutes. All the media is from
previously used batches that burned at 4X.

When I use Nero speed test with a +RW, it shows a burn speed of only
1.25 - 1.33X. One google search said that high CPU usage with the burn
indicates a bad burner.

So, does anyone have any ideas where my problem might be located? Can
anyone substantiate the high cpu usage/bad burner analogy? I don't know
what the cpu usage was before this problem started, but it not jumps
between about 65% and 100% during the burn, then falls to the teens or
twenties. Is a new burner in my future?

Thanks,

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com