From:
Elizabeth Boston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Feb 2003 12:10:18 -0500
Dear Byron,

I work with a small non-profit organization that has less than 10
computers. They work with an access database that two or three users
need to access on a regular basis. They do not have a server yet,
although I am trying hard to convince them that it is worth the cost.

Over the course of the past several years, the database has lived on
several different computers. It worked best when it was on a computer
that was only used occasionally... then they got a new full time person
and it became his computer.

They have had a couple of times where the database became corrupted due
in part to the user on the database computer re-booting when the
database was open. Backing up the database is more difficult when it is
on a user computer.

I think a server would be better. If that is not affordable, my second
choice would be a desktop without a monitor, mouse and keyboard. Use a
KVM (a switch that allows you to control two computers with one
keyboard, monitor and mouse) that way as the office expands, they won't
be tempted to turn the "server" into an extra computer.

      Elizabeth Boston