From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Aug 2006 12:31:32 -0700
On 14 Aug 2006 at 11:44, Dean Kukral wrote:

> I've been considering buying a laptop for some time now (in spite of the
> fact that they are very bad deals and extremely inflexible).  One of the
> things that I've noticed and thought was silly in a laptop was the dual-core
> cpu.  However, I see here that you recommend it, and I'd like to know why.
> (It may be moot soon enough, because most new laptops seem to be coming out
> with them.)

  It certainly doesn't seem intuitive *to me*, but I've recently run across
a claim that going to multiple cores allows manufacturers to achieve higher
overall performance without pushing the basic clock rate -- increases in
which lead to increased power lost as heat.  Since power consumption and
heat dissipation are two key criteria in designing laptops, it actually
makes sense that vendors would start migrating in this direction.

  It's probably true that the average laptop is used for fewer simultaneous
tasks than some desktops, but if that task uses multiple threads (I suspect
the more fully-featured browsers do...), they should indeed be able to take
advantage of the extra core.

David Gillett

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml