From:
Mary Wolden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jun 2001 00:15:24 -0500
From: "Lawrence" :Sent: Tuesday, June 19, 2001 6:10 PM
Subject: [PCBUILD] SCSI Scanner

> Hi,
>     I have a Mustek MFS-6000CX SCSI ISA scanner with its own SCSI ISA card. The cable end that connects to the SCSI card is the same 25 pin connections that is on the end of a printer cable that connects to the computer. (Yes it is SCSI, not parallel).
>      My new motherboard has no ISA slots, so I now cannot use my scanner. I have a SCSI 250 Zip drive with a PCI SCSI card. I tried connecting the scanner from the output socket on the Zip but it did not work. I then tried to connecting it in the middle of the chain, but the scanner was still not recognized by the computer nor the Scanner Install program software. The terminator was set each time, the end unit on and the middle unit off. The scanner's cable will not connect direct to the Zip's SCSI card so I was not able to try this. This has been my total experence with SCSI, but I feel at ea
> se working on the computer otherwise. I very well might not be doing something right.
>      Is there a SCSI PCI card that will work on both my Zip and Scanner? Or is there one that will work with my Scanner? I do not understand the difference in the SCSI cards that I see advertised. I do not know which type I need, etc.
>     If someone that understands SCSI could point me in the right direction, I would be very thankfull!
>     Mustek did not respond to my questions. I quess my ISA scanner is no longer suported.
>      Thank you for any help....I really need it...
> Lawrence Richards

 Lawrence,

Did you check the scsi ID's on the zip and the scanner?  They must each have a different scsi ID.  If both of the IDs are the same the scanner would not be recognized.  The scanner should work with any scsi card.  I used an HP scanner card to connect an external scsi cdr drive with out any problems.  Termination can be another problem.  Sometimes an active external scsi terminator is required for proper termination of the scsi bus.
Have you tried using the zip cable to connect just your scanner to see if it is detected then?

Mary Wolden
A+, Net+, MCP+I, MCSE, CNA, CCNA
Cisco Networking Academy Instructor

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,