From:
Hal Trachtenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Mar 2001 04:00:55 -0500
> I have an ATrend ATA-N400-CX0 motherboard with the Intel PIII 800mz CPU. I
am Running Windows 98SE, with 2 sticks of 128meg PC100 memory. (256meg).
>      If I install another 128meg of PC100 memory stick for 384meg, Windows
will not boot-up. It stops trying with error "Windows protection error. You
need to restart your computer".
>      The memory will count up from the BIOS with 393216k. (384meg.). Any
one or two sticks will work ok, but with the third installed Windows will
not boot-up. I have 3 memory slots, I have tried all combinations. I have
used "DocMemory" tester from the DOS Prompt, and it shows the memory working
OK from here. I have re-install Windows, still same problem. I have removed
all cards from the mother board except for the Video Card (Creative Labs
PCI, 32 meg), removed the cables
>  from all IDE except for Drive 0, and Keyboard and tried it. Did not help.
>      If I limit Windows memory to 256k by using the switch
"MaxPhysPage=10000" in the System.INI file, Windows then will boot-up, but
showing only 256meg of memory as it should.
>     Please, can anyone help me? I have tried Microsoft's site, and have
tried everything I could find, but nothing helps.

>     Wilma Lawrence

It may be the case that the new 128 RAM module is incompatible with the
other modules that are already installed. Even though it shows up OK in
DocMemory and also when you first boot up the system, this does not mean
that the RAM is actually OK. These tests do not test for compatibility
between Ram modules, or between a Ram module and the motherboard, they just
test that the RAM is present. This happens often when modules from different
manufacturers are used in the same system.