From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 May 2002 13:19:56 -0700
You write "Between cutting CDs" , and I read this to mean that you burned a
CD, and then attempted to deploy it on a network that you manage.
Intermittent or complete failure to read burned CDs correctly on some CDROM
drives is not uncommon. Some drives can read just about anything, at any
time, and some can not,,...or maybe they can sometimes depending on
externalities.  And it may be able to read the data but refuse to auto run
or boot.

  A burned CD is not like a manufactured pressed CD, ...which any reader
will read correctly,....and the reader, particularly an older, or
inexpensive generic reader, may not be able to consistently read a burned
CD correctly. It is just one of those things.

This is the reason I only install the best name brand optical readers. No
cutting corners here!
I learned the hard way,... having spent too many hours trying to
troubleshoot CDROM Drives that couldn't read assorted CDs.
Or worse, displayed intermittent behavior.

Rode
The NOSPIN Group

>I can't tell you the hellish time I've had the past few days over this
>same issue.  Between cutting CDs on different machines, different
>readers in different machines, and the software just quitting.  And of
>course when they didn't work for folks, I was told it was my fault and
>that there was something wrong with the CD.  (Which there wasn't.
>
>FThere are so many different computers (all Gateway!) that telling you
>specifics probably wouldn't help.  But I sure would appreciate someone
>simply telling me it's not MY fault (especially since I know the
>recipients will be blaming me!  Grin.)
>
>Paul

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com