From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Jan 2005 12:14:31 -0800
  I do some video editting, and expect to do more.

  I'm not sure that CPU and motherboard are the most important criteria.
They'll want FireWire and USB 2.0 connections, and big fast hard drives.
Since I haven't made the leap to SATA yet, I use UDMA 133 drives with the
8MB on-board buffer; my current mix includes 160GB and 200GB drives, but
I've been seeing 300GB drives with 16MB buffers in the stores...

  I'm using an Athlon XP 2500 CPU, which seems to be more than adequate.
  My motherboard is an FIC AU13.  The board itself seems to be decent, but I
have two reservations about recommending it to others:

a) The packaging touts the included Norton utility software -- which doesn't
   seem to actually be in the box, and my email to FIC bounced back.

b) There's a firewire port on the rear ATX connector panel, and two more on
   the motherboard that feed to a bracket.  At least one of the bracket
   connectors seems to see my DV camerat, but be unable to send it commands.
   So far, I don't actually need more than one working FireWire connector.

David Gillett