From:
Tom Turak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Apr 2003 10:14:35 -0400
This is in fact the most likely cause.  The friend's old monitor does not
support the default scan frequency of the video card you are using.  You
should hook your monitor to this pc and verify the video still works.
800x600 tends to be more of a standard than 640x480, so it failing at
640x480 is not really significant news.  Getting a different driver for the
video card, or a driver for the monitor if one exists (you may do no better
than setting the monitor to plug and play, assuming it is plug and play) may
help, or you can experiment with locking the scan frequency in setup if the
driver supports that option. Some drivers only offer the choice between
'default' and 'optimal', others give a list of frequencies to choose from.
Tom Turak