From:
Dean Kukral <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Jun 2009 23:16:05 -0500
I suspect that when you reinstalled the OS, you permitted it to perform automatic updates of the operating system, right?

And when you loaded the OS, it was a five year old version of XP Media Center that came with your computer, right?  (If it was a
copy of XP that you bought later, then this advice may or may not be relevant.)

So, I conjecture that XP went looking for updates and found about a zillion megabytes of updates, and downloaded them when it could.
(Why it waited for a day I can't say, so my conjecture may be off base.)  You may even have downloaded updates to your software,
particularly if you use Microsoft Office.

Okay, so I assume that you dutifully allowed the computer to download all the updates and shut itself down after they were all
downloaded, right?

The process does not end there.  When you turn the computer back on, these updates are being installed.  (I have no idea how all
these processes work, I just know that when you turn the computer back on, you may have to go off for a cup of coffee and come back
later.)  In Vista, it tells you that it is installing updates, but I forget what XP does.  But I can tell you that five years of
updates to XP can be quite substantial.  What you see as the Windows logo being frozen might well be the updates being installed.

Hopefully all the updates are now installed and your computer is still running ok?  Then you are okay.  You have all the patches
installed.  The key here is that the computer is running ok and the updates did not hurt anything.  The good thing is that you now
have all the latest bug fixes and security patches.

Okay, so you waited a long time and drank many cups of coffee and the Windows logo is still frozen?  Well, you can try erasing the
drive and starting it all over again.  By turning the computer on and off during the process, you may have trashed some of your
updates and/or drivers.  This time do not let the computer perform automatic updates.  You will probably want to install the updates
manually, at a slower pace.  I don't know if you can install SP2 without installing SP3, but as Hugh said, some people have had
trouble with SP3.

You can try doing a restore.  You can try deleting all the updates.  Personally, if the logo is actually, for-sure frozen, I would
do a complete re-install.  It usually goes faster the second time because  you've had practice.  :(

Whenever you erase a hard drive with the OS on it, it is standard practice to run updates on all your software and drivers.  This
can take quite a while, but is to be expected.

Dean Kukral