From:
DENISE ROCHE <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Aug 2010 05:41:04 -0400
I know nothing about Europe. I do know that in the United States people with training or education in Computer Science or its related fields never refer to hard drive space as "memory." The word "memory" is reserved for RAM. In common usage, however, people often refer to their hard drive space as memory. It can cause quite a bit of confusion. Better to be more specific and find what you're actually looking for when searching on the internet. The term "hard drive space" is not ambiguous. I have had to correct many people who come to me wanting to find out where their "memory" is going. I naturally assume they mean RAM, and proceed accordingly only to discover that it is hard drive space they are complaining about. It does not help communication when someone doesn't know the correct terms to use.

Denise

From: David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, August 18, 2010 11:15 am
To: [log in to unmask]

It has been common amongst academic Computer Science folks -- especially
in Europe, I think -- to refer to both as "storage", sometimes
differentiating between "primary storage" (memory, RAM) and "secondary
storage" (file system, page file, resident on a device from which it
must be copied into memory to be used).
 I'm not sure that this usage has become common amongst end users on
either side of the Atlantic.

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml