From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Nov 1998 10:47:30 -0800
On 15 Nov 98 at 15:49, David Coulthart wrote:

> Initially I configured the card for COM3, I/O 3E8 & IRQ 4.
> Currently I use my COM1, set to 3F8H/IRQ 4 for my mouse & my COM2,
> 2F8H/IRQ 3, for my external modem.

  And there is your problem, right there.  While you can configure
two serial ports to the same IRQ, you cannot *use* both of them at
once if you do that.  [This is inherent in ISA, and is not something
NT can fix for you.]

  The way *I* configure systems (and I know that some people don't
like it...) is to put the serial mouse (if I'm not using a PS/2
mouse, which is an alternative you might consider) on COM2/IRQ3, and
use COM1 and COM3 for modem and desktop device (on some machines this
is a PDA, so it's similar to your case).  As long as I remember that
I can't talk to the device while on-line with the modem, everything
works fine.
  [Since the mouse is active ALL THE TIME, the closest you can come
to this with the mouse on COM1 is to leave COM3 unpopulated and
install the additional port as COM4/IRQ3.  I'll bet, though, that
your ATI video card conflicts with COM4, so I wouldn't even try
this.]

David G

                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html