From:
Joe Lore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Oct 2004 13:02:43 -0400
Hi,

What OS were you planning to use with the New hard drive?

I would consider upgrading to win2k pro or XP.  I'd install the new drive,
get my Anti-virus installed.
Do all updates for both, then hook up the old drive and pull data or files
as needed after I checked it with the new updated av.  It is always better
to go for a fresh install when possilbe.   Also that way you don't run the
risk of
loosing what you hae on the old drive.

Also note: DVD burners are such that 80pin cables are now the norm when
installing on Newer boards.
You may run into some problems, other than software issue, if the main board
is to old (ata33)

Thanks and have a Great Day!

Joe Lore
Have an HP Pavilion 8380 running Windows 98.  System is becoming more and
more unstable and want to reinstall and start from scratch.

I purchased a Mad Dog Dominator 6-in-1 Dual 8X DVD +- R +- RW burner (model
MD-8XDVDRW-PM).  Want to use the burner to back up the system prior to
reinstall.  However, the package indicates compatibility with 98SE, but not
98.

Would I be able to install burner with just Win98 and back up the system, or
am I barking up the wrong tree?

As an alternative, I have a new hard drive, Ghost and Partition Magic.  Do I
install the new hard drive, duplicate my hard drive with Ghost and go from
there?

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>