Date:
Sun, 8 Aug 1999 20:27:25 -0500
Bob, thanks for the reply.

The reason I was going about diagnostics in this manner is that the
computer won't complete a boot in safe mode either and reloading Windows
didn't fix the problem ("explorer caused an exception 6d007fh in module
Kernel32.DLL ...").   I hadn't deleted the registry, which seems to me to
be tantamount to wiping the hard drive which I don't want to do unless the
problem proves to be *not* another hardware failure of some sort.  I have
checked the memory modules to see if that was the problem (nope) and I
sincerely don't want to get into this goofy (to be kind) Packard Bell case
again if I don't have to, except to remove the HD which is fairly accessible.

The hard drive is a Seagate, 2 years old and original to the machine.

I am certainly willing to reload as completely as necessary, if it comes to
that.  I simply want to rule out other causes first, though if you are
certain that the issue is with either the HD or Windows then I shall gladly
bypass the   invasion of my sole performing machine.

Thanks again,

Julie Shanks

At 08:16 AM 8/8/99 -0600, you wrote:
>At 11:14 PM 8/7/99 , Julie Shanks wrote:
>>I need to test a 2GB hard drive to see if the problem I'm having is with
>>it, or not.  I would like to add it into my current machine (Celeron 333
>>with Win 98 and Epox mobo).  What I want to find out is - will this hard
>>drive boot all the way into the Windows (95) desktop as it has in the past,
>>but no longer will (wallpaper comes up, but explorer won't load).  If it
>>doesn't, then there is a problem with this drive, and presumably not the
>>rest of the machine from which it originates.
>>
>>What procedure do I  use to boot from this HD?  Also, would it be
>>simpler  for diagnostic purposes to switch out the drives, or just add the
>>second as an additional (master?) drive to this computer?
>

>I do not believe you are on the right track in diagnosing this problem
>with the system.   You did not mention the brand of the hard drive
>which leads me to wonder if it might be a drive with a firmware issue,
>the symptom(s) you mention are not atypical of a bad hard drive.
>
>When a computer will post and then continue to boot clearly past
>are experiencing a driver or IRQ conflict, a software issue within
>Windows.  These questions come to mind:
>1) Will it boot into Windows in Safe Mode?
>2) If so, have you checked your device manager for driver & IRQ
>     conflicts?
>
>I believe you have an issue in your operating system.  It maybe such
>a thing you will need to reload Windows if you cannot boot into safe
>mode.  If a simple reload of Windows still locks, my next step would
>be to delete the registry, including the backup copies, then reload.  If
>the issue continues, then remove all the cards, except for the video
>card...  then reload.   This issue, on the face of the symptoms you
>present, is typical of drivers and/or IRQ conflicts in Windows...
>possibly a situation where you have a third party application attempting
>to load at boot conflicting with Windows...   a Windows software issue.
>

>                 Bob Wright
>        The NOSPIN Group, Inc
>http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org
>
>               PCBUILD mailing list is brought to you by:
>                            The NOSPIN Group
>                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org

                     visit our download web page at:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html