From:
Walt Ezyk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Nov 1998 21:56:18 -0500
Date:    Mon, 9 Nov 1998 23:17:36 +1100
Trevor Gibbs <[log in to unmask]> wrote

>A friend told me today that some 386's/486's could not run more
>than ONE
>physical hard drive ( The CD's are IDE with jumper in place) due to
>a BIOS
>limitation... which is the first I have heard of that happening...
>Can anybody enlighten me as to whether that is correct or has
>some semblance of truth or not?

Trevor, I'm sure you will receive a more learned answer, however,
I'll tell you my experience with the same problem. I have a 486DX-
75 with a 540MB IDE HD by IBM and a Blue Lightning MB also by
IBM using MR BIOS. This machine is 3 - 4 yrs.old. About a year ago
I tried to install a CD - ROM on the same ribbon cable going to the
HD and could not make it work. Ended up taking it to the local shop
and they had to install a sound card and run the cable from it to the
CD - ROM. It has been working fine ever since. I wasn't charged for
the sound card because I think it is defective, but works well with
this application. A couple weeks ago I picked up a used 540 MB IDE
HD by Seagate and hooked it up on that same cable going to the 1st
HD and it works fine. Hope this helps.

Walt - [log in to unmask]