From:
Bill Cohane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2001 22:30:32 -0500
At 16:23 03/13/01, Dr. Charles Wm. Bell, Jr. wrote:
>I am receiving the following error message:
>
>Failed to initialive Vbox (0010-0016-0120)
>
>01.  What is Vobx?
>02.  How can I correct this?

Vbox is a program used to download software (via a secure
connection ) from some software vendors. (Have you bought
and downloaded any software over the Internet lately?)
I recall that Vbox will try to run at startup and show as
an icon in your tray.

I had to use it to get a software update and thought the
whole thing was stupid. I think it was created under the
assumption that people are not smart enough to download,
install, and register software on their own...or maybe
that they won't be able to remember where to go to get
more software.

Look for a folder with name similar to Vbox. (It may be
a subfolder in your Windows folder.) You can move anything
in there that you want to save (e.g., backups of downloaded
software programs) to another location on your hard drive.
If Vbox is in Control Panel's Add/Remove Programs applet,
you could then remove it. (If it won't remove, I'd just
delete the whole Vbox folder...after stopping it from
starting at boot time.)

If the program is trying to start by itself, look in
"C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu" and delete the Vbox shortcut. If
you're using Win98 and Vbox starts via a registry key, run
MSCONFIG (from the Start Menu) and disable Vbox from the
Startup tab. If you're not running Win98 (or even if you
are), you could download and install Startup Cop or
Startup Control Panel to see (and change) all programs
that start at boot. You can get them from these links
ftp://zdftp.zdnet.com/pub/private/sWlIB/utilities/system_utilities/startcop.zip
http://www.mlin.net/files/StartupCPL.zip
(The first link may get split onto two lines. You'll
have to paste them together before use.)

Regards,
Bill

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>