From:
Mary Wolden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Aug 1999 03:38:18 -0500
From: Gary Gifford Sent: Sunday, August 15, 1999 9:18 PM
Subject: [PCBUILD] Com4 doesn't exist

I have a Aopen AX6B motherboard, an internal Zoom modem model
2919L(Lucentchip) and an Abit Merlin Intel i740 video card. I installed Beos
as a second OS to Win98 and in trying to get the modem to work I started
fooling around with the bios settings for PnP, etc. Even with defaults
reloaded I can't see Com4 in the system-device manager-ports listing
although modem properties-resouces shows the modem on Com 4 and it works in
W98.  The modem won't work if I jumper it to non PnP Com4 which would be
nice so it would work with Beos.  Com3 shows in the device manager but I get
conflicts when I try to use it with the modem.  Am I missing something here?
Why isn't Com4 showing up in the device manager?  Thanks for any help.

PNP modems in my experience require that the com prot be disabled in the
bios for then to install.  the comport shows up under the resources on the
modem not under the port in Device Manager.  According to the information on
your modem: "Plug and Play for Windows 95/98; software configurable for
Windows 3.x and DOS; internal models are jumper-selectable for Windows NT
and other operating systems".  Possibly when you were fooling around with
com ports settings in the bios you changed them from their usual values so
that when you jumpered the modem it could not find the correct com port.   I
also believe that when you jumper the modem that you must enable that port
in the bios for the jumpered modem to work.  From what I read about your
modem it must be jumpered to work in Windows NT and other operating systems.
the usual settings for com ports are: Com 1 - IRQ 4 03F8: Com2 - IRQ 3 02F8:
Com3 IRQ 4 03E8: Com 4 - IRQ 3 02E8.  Com1 and Com3 share an IRQ and Com2
and Com4 share an IRQ.  Jumper your modem to an empty IRQ and Com port and
then make sure that that com port with the same IRQ and I/O is enabled in
your bios.  Hope this helps.

Mary Wolden

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>