From:
Rick Glazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Aug 1999 10:59:30 -0400
This Scandisk "problem" is started by a flag being set that tells Windows
that "Windows" was started.
When COMPLETELY shut down, this flag is changed to indicate
that the shut down was TOTALLY finished.
(Note: The last "OK to shut off" screen SHOULD indicate the system got
to that point... But, I have "frozen" on the "Please Wait" screen and had
no scandisk...)
Are any of your shut down screens "custom"?
Are any Antivirus programs checking "A" on shut down?  - This "can" cause
a "real mode" video mode change bug to surface...

The rest is just theory...  I can't remember where this flag is, but I "think" it is in
a file in the root directory ("C"). --  I "think" I have restored a "good" registry
and still had Scandisk "pop-up" when I knew it other-wise would/should have.
So, we get to the rest of the theory...
Are you running any type of "Tweak" program?
Some of them change settings that are hard to correct and/or are not "normal"
when looking for some types of problems.  Some of them also change or "swap
around" the files in the root directory every time you boot.
Hope this helps.     Rick Glazier

> > Scan disk usually runs on startup if the system was not properly shut down
> > the last time it was used. Even Win95 OS2 does that. Are you sure someone is
> > turnig the system off without shutting down first?
> > Gregg
> >
> > David Rezachek wrote:
> > > I am running Windows 98 on a HP Pavilion 6370Z. Almost every time I turn
> > > on the computer, or restart it, Scandisk starts. This can take a long
> > > time with an 8gig HD. Does anyone have any idea why this happens?
(and he added)
> The problem occurs even when the cumputer is properly shut down
> (the vast majority of the time).

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html