From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Jan 2007 14:36:42 -0800
On 31 Dec 2006 at 22:07, Sue Rose wrote:

> Why this disparity--same phone line that i plugged into each tower

  There have been a couple of different 56K standards put forward, not all
entirely compatible.  Within each standard, there have been chipsets
available from multiple manufacturers -- and many (but not ALL!) modern
internal modems implement key features in the driver software, rather than
in the hardware.  And of course there various configuration options.

  We have no way of knowing that the hardware is in working condition, that
the correct drivers are installed, that the device configurations are
identical across these machines....

  My guess would be that the 28800 one is due to limited speed configured on
the virtual COM port, and that the one that never connects may be damaged or
have an incorrect or corrupted driver installed, but those are just guesses.

David Gillett

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml