From:
Amy Ledford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Aug 2005 01:57:33 -0700
David,

I am guessing that you don't have a modem problem
exactly, just that the modem in the custom-built PC is
a higher quality component than that in the Dell.
Custom-built PCs generally have higher grade
components than name-brand, just because you (or the
builder) can choose the individual components. You
could change out the modem Tigerdirect.com has 4 pages
of 56k modems, ranging in price from $8.99 to 89.99
for internal PCI modems. External modems range from
$24.99 to 249.99. (wow!) Before replacing the internal
modem, be sure that it won't void the warranty on the
Dell. I also checked on dell.com for a replacement
modem, but it asks for the model information. The site
was apparently down at the time, so no information
there...sorry. If you would otherwise void the
warranty, you should be able to purchase a better
modem direct from Dell, and they will (should) provide
support for it.

Afterthought: Since you have 2 PCs, why not upgrade to
DSL or cable? You can purchase a router and have both
online at the same time, at speeds that far exceed the
best 56k modem. And you will free the phone line.
Average cost of a router is about $50.00.

--- "David A. Campbell" <[log in to unmask]>

http://mail.yahoo.com