From:
Brad Loomis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jan 2000 07:24:31 -0800
Hi all,
I would be remiss without giving a VERY large thank you to both Bill Cohane
and Mary Wolden for their efforts in helping me solve my problem. This list
is indispensable for those of us who are doing all we can to learn about our
new passions and avocations.

Here is where I now stand in trying to install two Seagate 4.5 UW Cheetahs
and the one 4.5 UW IBM drives in my system. The are Seagate 1, ID 0, boot,
Seagate 2 ID 1, and for some reason the IBM shows up as ID 4, even thought
the jumper is at ID 2. After reading all that was posted on the subject and
messing with things forever, I finally disconnected my internal Zip and
Scanner from the 50 pin cable, LL formatted all three drives, at about an
hour each, got everything installed as I wanted, well almost. I can't figure
how to make my Windows Partition Fat32 and save DOS 6.22 using System
Commander, but that is irrelevant at this point. I made my swap partition on
the second Seagate. All was going along swimmingly, then after reading that
Mary has successfully used her Zip and Scanner on the other bus in a similar
set up as mine, I thought I'd see what would happen. Bad idea. It booted
just fine, Windows found the Zip and Scanner, HP 4C. It was all down hill
from there. I couldn't boot but to safe mode. I removed the devices. But it
never was right. So after another bout of LL formatting I reloaded again.

At this point I don't have anything connected to the 50 pin bus. The three
drives are all in and running. What happens now is if I install software or
updates, mfg. irrespective, upon the required reboot, I get "finished
updating files, continuing to load windows" and whack. Just sits there for
ever. Like ten minutes. I do a C-A-D, go to safe mode, look around for any
conflicts, play a game of solitaire, then reboot, and I'm back in Windows. A
good boot is almost three minutes.

So at this point, I think I'll just live with these quirks until I get the
new PS, PC Power and Cooling Turbo 350 ATX in the next couple of days. Then
I'll do the LL format and start all over fresh, with some time and
frustration abated. I have some doubts about trying the Zip and Scanner
again. With the conflicts of opinions, or facts presented to me here, I
think I'll wait till Mr. Bank account allows a separate host adapter for the
fast devices.

Thanks again to all who helped.
Brad Loomis
Los Angeles, CA