From:
Robert Lendrim <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Mar 2003 17:31:02 -0500
Look on the modem box for something like "Requirements". If it specifies
Windows, or a newer type of computer required, it is probably a "software
modem", "windows modem", or "winmodem".  A good "hardware" modem should
work with any generic PC. I've had a US Robotics Sportster V.90 Model 5686
(mine is 5686-03) external modem for quite a while and it is excellent.
It's bulky but works with any computer I attach it to. It connects on every
attempt at over 50K. Windows (98 & XP) seems to have it's own drivers for
the 5686, but I guess if you connect it to your old 286 DOS computer, you
might need a driver. I've bought several modems before and since I've had
this one, but it is head and shoulders above others I've had. I see them
used on EBay and you can find them new for under $70, (search
pricewatch.com for usr 5686). Standardization to the V.90 spec was a
wonderful development for modem purchasers. It works so well that I don't
feel a need for V.92 which,I believe has only minor changes. Once you get a
good modem, disconnect the phone line when you're not using it so it
doesn't get destroyed by lightning. You can read about modems here:
http://www.net-boy.com/
http://www.modemsite.com/56k/index.asp
My comments apply to PC's & ISP's in the U.S. Don't know about other countries.