From:
Doug Simmons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Nov 2002 17:18:33 -0500
At 11/20/2002 03:30 AM, Dwight Thornton wrote:

>I had un-installed and re-installed the external HD several times before
>the original posting.  To no avail.  This time I deleted the storage
>device listed under one of the USB listing, as well as the External HD
>liste unde Drives in Device Manager.  After disconnecting and reconnecting
>and rebooting, the Item that was listed as "Removeble Drive H" in Windows
>Explorer was indeed gone.

The proper sequence to re-install the external hard drive drivers is to:

1) delete all mention of the drive from the Device Manager,
2) Disconnect the drive from the USB port
3) reboot the machine (IMPORTANT) with the drive disconnected,
4) reinstall the hardware drivers from the installation file
5) Reboot again with the drive disconnected
6) Only after the reboot should you then plug in the external hard drive.

At that point you should see a dialog box informing you that a new device
has been detected and that the drivers are being installed.  Then you
should be in business.  If you don't see the dialog box, then you will need
to start looking at your USB installation to make sure the USB drivers are
properly installed and recognized.

Doug

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com