From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 May 2002 17:31:20 -0600
At 05:30 PM 5/8/2002, you wrote:
>I have an older Dell laptop and a new Gateway laptop.  I just want to transfer my data
>for the old to the new using a cable from serial port to serial port.  I know this will
>be slow but that's not an issue.  I think I need a straight-through cable - right? but
>what else do I have to set up on each computer.  Please give me rather detailed
>instructions or point me to a site that does as I have never done this before.

There are numerous ways to do this, including buying LapLink which
is not cheap...  http://www.laplink.com , but this software includes the
cables and everything you need.

However, if you have the serial port cable and only want a simple
solution, you can download a MS software package called Interlink
that we maintain on our website:
http://freepctech.com/pc/002/files002.shtml        MS INTERLINK

This is a small zipped file with a detailed instructions text file inside,
along with the needed software drivers that will make it work.   I have
tested this with Windows3.1, Windows95 and Windows98...  it should
work fine with WindowsME...    I am not sure if it will work with Windows2000
or WindowsXP...    but, it will not hurt anything to try on these operating
systems.  It is small and simple...

If you have any questions after reading the directions, you can post them
to PCBUILD.  I am sure I am not the only on to have used this method from the
old DOS days...

     Bob Wright
The NoSpin Group, Inc.
http://freepctech.com - http://nospin.org