From:
Bill Cohane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 May 2001 22:00:32 -0400
At 13:39 05/10/01, Demetri Kolokotronis wrote:
>Master is 40G Western Digital, Slave is 3.2G Seagate.
>When I installed slave HD on second cable it became Drive D, pushing my
>second and third partitions on master HD to E and F. If I get slave HD
>installed as I want how can I make slave become Drive F instead of D?

Re-partition the slave HD (the Seagate) so it has an extended
partition only (with one logical drive inside it of course). It must
not have a primary partition. Put this slave Seagate on the second IDE
cable...because you said it wouldn't work on the first IDE cable.

If you leave the partition on the Seagate as a primary partition,
it will always get a drive letter before the logical drives on the
first drive. Remember: primary partitions always get letters before
logical drives. (Logical drives are what are inside extended
partitions.)

[Talking about DOS or Win9X above. The one exception is if there is
more than one primary non-hidden FAT type partition on the first
drive. But you're not supposed to do that because it can cause
problems.]

Regards,
Bill

                    Digest mode - visit our web site: